Have some free days in Xian and want a Xian side tour? Luoyang should be the first option for you based on both its convenient transportation and local tourism value. Like Xi’an, this city also served as a capital in ancient China for thousands of years and has many world-well-known attractions such as Longmen Grottoes and Shaolin Temple. This 6-day tour combines the highlights of both Xian and Luoyang to introduce you to an in-depth discovery of Chinese history and culture.
2. Learn why the World Heritage site of the Big Wild Goose Pagoda in Xi’an was built and take a walk in the park around it.
3. Wander the lively Xi’an’s Muslim Quarter to hunt for local snacks & drinks and experience exotic North China food culture.
4. Appreciate the treasure house of ancient stone carving art, Longmen Grottoes, where you will see more than 100,000 stone sculptures.
5. Head to one of China’s most important Buddhist temples to watch the wonderful Chinese Kung Fu show.
6. Take a bike ride on top of China’s best-preserved and largest surviving City Wall while enjoying the views of the entire area inside the wall.
- Day 1: Xian Arrival (No meal)
Upon arrival in Xian, Our driver will greet you at Xian airport by holding a welcome board with your name. Then the driver will transfer you to the hotel in downtown Xian. The rest of the day is free for you.
Accommodation: 4-Star Hotel
- Day 2: XianTerra-cotta Warriors and Horses, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Qujiang Pool (Breakfast + Lunch)
In the morning, your local guide will pick you up from the hotel and then transfer you to visit the most famous spot the Terracotta Warriors Museum, which is known as the Eighth Wonder of the World with a surprisingly high level of sculpture. It is located 30 km east of Xian City and the original site was found by four local farmers while drilling a well in 1974. The museum includes Pit 1(the largest pit), Pit 2, Pit 3, and the exhibition hall of the chariots and horses. You will stay in the museum for 2-3 hours. Listening to the explanation from the expert tour guide, you will learn the hidden story of those live-sized sculptures and the history of their owner: the First Emperor of Qin who was also the first emperor of China.
In the afternoon, you'll explore the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, constructed during the Tang Dynasty in 652 A.D. Its initial purpose was to house Buddhist sutras and Buddha figurines brought from India by Xuanzang. The pagoda is now surrounded by a spacious square, divided into North and South Squares. In the evening, the area becomes lively with various Tang-themed activities organized by local enthusiasts. The last stop is the Qujiang Pool Park, an elegant park built on the base of historical relics, serving as not only a recreational zone but also a relics-protected zone. Finally, we will drop you off at the hotel.
Big Wild Goose Pagoda
- Day 3: XianSmall Wild Goose Pagoda Scenic Area, Muslim Quarter, Great Mosque, Bell Tower and Drum Tower Square (Breakfast + Lunch)
In the morning, we visit the Small Wild Goose Pagoda Scenic Area. Nestled amidst picturesque gardens, this Tang Dynasty gem exudes tranquility. The pagoda, standing as a testament to ancient Buddhist influence, invites exploration of its ornate structure. You can wander through serene courtyards, admire intricate sculptures, and immerse yourself in the rich cultural legacy of this beautifully preserved site.
After lunch, head to the Muslim Quarter, a bustling neighborhood with narrow alleys filled with local shops and street food vendors. You will be immersed in the lively atmosphere, sample delicious snacks, and explore the unique blend of Chinese and Islamic culture. In the hidden lane of the Muslim Quarter, you will visit the Great Mosque, a major spot for religious activities among the Muslims in Xi'an. It possesses many traditional Chinese architectural elements in its design. For example, you will see Chinese pavilions with painted beams and engraved ridgepoles. Before boarding the car to go back to your hotel, you will take short a walk around the Bell Tower & Drum Tower Square and take some pictures here.
Accommodation: 4-Star Hotel
- Day 4: Xian-Luoyang-Xian by Bullet TrainLongmen Grottoes, Shaolin Temple (Lunch)
Get up early and meet our driver at your hotel lobby around 6:00 am to go to Xian North Train Station to catch the high-speed train to Luoyang.
Upon your arrival in Luoyang, Luoyang local guide will greet you at the exit of the railway station. A private car will take you to visit the Longmen Grottoes. It is considered a treasure house of ancient stone-carving art with more than 100,000 stone statues varying from 2 cm to 17.14 m high. Longmen Grottoes extends for about 1,094 yards along both banks of the Yi River and about 12 km away from Luoyang city. It is one of the three most valuable Buddhist Cave and rock carvings in China.
In the afternoon, continue to visit the Shaolin Temple. It is famous not only as one of China's most important Buddhist temples but also as the center of Chinese Kung Fu. First constructed in 495, the temple was mainly designed to accommodate Batuo, a famous Indian monk. Now Shaolin Temple is reputed as "the Number One Temple Under Heaven" and was also listed as a UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage in 2010. The temple is the cradle of the Chinese Zen Buddhism and the Shaolin martial arts. The Shaolin martial arts are an important part of the relics. Kung Fu Show here is no doubt a big highlight as the saying goes "All martial arts (Kongfu) are from Shaolin".
After that, our guide will see you off at Luoyang Longmen Railway Station. You will take the high-speed train back to Xian. Meet the Xian driver at Xian Train Station and then be escorted to your hotel.
Accommodation: 4-Star Hotel
- Day 5: XianXian City Wall, Yongxingfang Food Street, Daming Palace National Heritage Park, Shuyuanmen Ancient Cultural Street (Breakfast + Lunch)
Following breakfast, your guide will collect you from the hotel lobby for a visit to the Xian City Wall. This formidable structure, erected in 1370 A.D. during the Ming Dynasty, remains the largest and best-preserved city wall in China. As it encircles the city, visitors have the optional opportunity to cycle along its expanse (additional cost of CNY45 per person). Afterwards, take a walk along the Shuyuanmen Ancient Cultural Street. This historic street is a cultural hub lined with traditional shops, where you can find calligraphy, paintings, and other handicrafts.
After lunch, you will come to visit the Yongxingfang Food Street. The whole street was built in ancient Ming and Qing Dynasty style. Many family-handmade foods that have been lost in big cities can be found here. They cook right in front of you, so you get to see how each food you try is made.
Then, drive to visit Daming Palace National Heritage Park. It was once the political center and symbol of Tang Dynasty (618 – 907). The palace of a large scale and complete layout was called the "peak of Chinese palace architecture". Unfortunately, it was ruined in the wars in the late Tang Dynasty. The current palace was duplicated according to the ever-existing one and has become a world cultural heritage site. You will enjoy an IMAX 3D movie Legend of the Daming Palace which relates a love story arising from a piece of exquisite ancient mural and will bring you back to the glorious days of the Tang Dynasty. Your guide will lead you to admire the unearthed relics in the museum and uncover the stories of the Tang Dynasty you may never heard of. At last, drive back to your hotel.
Accommodation: 4-Star Hotel
- Day 6: Xian Departure
After breakfast, our driver will pick you up from the hotel at the appointed time and then transfer you to Xian Airport for your departure. Service ends.
- Transportation: Xian-Luoyang-Xian high speed train (2nd class seats)
- Accommodation: 5-night centrally located hotels in Xian
- Entrance tickets as mentioned in the itinerary
- Meal: 5 breakfast included at hotel and 4 Chinese style lunch listed in the itinerary
- Guide: Excellent English-speaking tour guides in Xian and Luoyang
- Private transfers in an air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver
- Travel Agency Liability Insurance during the tour
- Government taxes
- China Visas or international flights
- Any optional activity/battery car/shuttle bus inside the attraction
- Our package does not include travel insurance. Please purchase travel insurance before your trip for any unforeseen circumstances.
- Any item beyond “Pirce includes”
- Gratuities to guide and driver (recommended if you are satisfied with their services)