Located in the east of Jiayuguan City, about 20 kilometers from the Jiayuguan Fort, The Wei-Jin Tombs are a collection of over 1,400 tombs date back to the Wei-Jin period (220-420 AD) and were built by the ruling class of the time. The tombs boasts colorful brick paintings and intricate murals that depict the daily life and culture of the Wei (220-265) and Jin (265-420) dynasties. It offers visitors a rare chance to glimpse into the lives of the people who lived during that era.
Fast facts of Wei-Jin Tombs
- Location: East of Jiayuguan City, Gansu Province, China
- Area: Over 40 square kilometers
- Time Needed: Half a day
- Highlights: Intricate murals and carvings, historical and cultural significance, unique burial customs
- Suited to: History buffs, culture enthusiasts, art lovers
What to See and Do in Wei-Jin Tombs
Admire the intricate murals and carvings
The Wei-Jin Tombs are known for their stunning art, showcasing the daily life, beliefs, and customs of the people who lived during that era.
Learn about the history and culture of the Wei-Jin period
Visitors can learn about the unique burial customs, social hierarchy, and artistic achievements of the Wei-Jin period through various exhibits and artifacts.
Explore the surrounding area
The Wei-Jin Tombs are located in a beautiful natural setting, and visitors can enjoy hiking and trekking in the nearby Qilian Mountains.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the Wei-jin tombs is during the spring or autumn, which is from April to May and September to November respectively. During these seasons, the weather is moderate and comfortable for visitors to explore the tombs without being affected by the extreme heat or cold. Moreover, the scenic beauty of the region is at its peak during these months, with lush green foliage and beautiful blooming flowers adding to the charm of the tombs.
Attractions Nearby Wei-Jin Tombs
- Jiayuguan Fort: This ancient fortification is the starting point of the Great Wall and is an essential attraction for anyone visiting Jiayuguan.
- Overhanging Great Wall: This unique section of the Great Wall is built on a cliff, providing stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Qilian Mountains: Visitors can enjoy hiking and trekking in the nearby Qilian Mountains and enjoy the beautiful natural scenery.
Getting to Wei-Jin Tombs
Here are some of the most convenient and affordable ways to get to Wei-jin Tombs from Jiayuguan City:
- Taxi: A taxi ride from downtown Jiayuguan or Jiayuguan Fort to the Wei-Jin Tombs takes about 30 minutes and costs around CNY 57 for a single trip. This is a great option for those who prefer a direct and comfortable ride.
- Hire a car: For a more flexible and personalized tour, you can hire a car to explore Jiayuguan Pass, Overhanging Great Wall, and Wei-Jin Tombs. The cost for a day tour ranges from CNY 150 to 180, depending on the itinerary and duration.
- Bus: If you’re on a budget, taking a bus is the most economical option. You can catch Bus 4 or Bus 6 from the train station or city center to Jiayuguan Fort, and then transfer to Bus 2 or Bus 3 to reach the Wei-Jin Tombs. The bus fare is only CNY 1 per person, making it an affordable and convenient way to travel.