Located in the southwestern part of Inner Mongolia, China, the Ordos Grassland is a vast and stunning area surrounded by mountains, rivers, and lakes. It boasts a diverse ecosystem and is considered a sacred site for the Mongolian people as the resting place of the great conqueror Genghis Khan.
The Ordos Grassland offers a range of attractions for tourists interested in experiencing the rich culture and natural beauty of the grassland. Visitors can enjoy singing and dancing performances by local ethnic groups, indulge in traditional Mongolian cuisine, stay in a yurt, ride a horse, visit the Mausoleum of Genghis Khan, and explore nearby attractions such as the Kubuqi Desert and World Precious Garden. The Ordos Grassland provides a unique opportunity for visitors to immerse themselves in the history, culture, and natural scenery of Inner Mongolia.
- Location: in the southwest of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China, about 9 kilometers southwest of Xini Town, Hangjinqi, Ordos City.
- Opening time: from 8:00 to 18:00 every day.
- Ticket price: 100 CNY per person
- Time Needed: half a day to a full day
- Best time to visit: July to September
- Suited to: anyone who loves nature, culture, and adventure.
What to See and Do in Ordos Grassland
Enjoy Cultural Performances:
Visitors can enjoy singing and dancing performances by local ethnic groups, including the Mongolian Long Song, horse head fiddle performance, and throat singing.
Try Traditional Mongolian Cuisine:
The grassland offers a variety of traditional Mongolian dishes, including roasted whole lamb, milk tea, and dairy products.
Stay in a Yurt:
Visitors can experience the traditional nomadic lifestyle by staying in a yurt, a portable, round tent used by Mongolian nomads.
Ride a Horse:
Horse riding is a popular activity in the grassland, and visitors can explore the surrounding area on horseback.
Visit the Mausoleum of Genghis Khan:
The Mausoleum of Genghis Khan is a sacred shrine dedicated to the founder of the Mongol Empire, providing visitors with insights into his life and accomplishments.
Best Time to Visit Ordos Grassland
The Ordos Grassland is best visited between July and September when the weather is mild, and the grass is lush green. Visitors can also take advantage of the annual Inner Mongolia Naadam Festival in July or August, which is a significant celebration of Mongolian sports and culture. The festival features traditional Mongolian games, including wrestling, horse racing, and archery, as well as music and dance performances. This is an excellent opportunity for visitors to experience the local culture while enjoying the natural beauty of the grassland.
Attractions nearby Ordos Grassland
- Mausoleum of Genghis Khan: A sacred site for Mongolian people, the mausoleum is the cenotaph of the legendary emperor.
- Kubuqi Desert: The seventh-largest desert in China, visitors can enjoy various desert activities such as sand sliding, camel riding, jeep safaris, and desert camping.
- Lake Engebei: A large freshwater lake surrounded by sand dunes and grasslands, visitors can take a boat ride on the lake, watch the birds and fish, and enjoy the tranquility and beauty of the lake.
- Kangbashi District: The new urban center of Ordos features the futuristic Ordos Museum, a building that resembles a pebble. Visitors can learn about the history and culture of Ordos and witness the colorful light shown by the Ulan Mulun River.
How to Get to Ordos Grassland
Visitors can fly to the Ordos Ejin Horo Airport, located in the south of Ordos City, approximately 50 kilometers from the grassland. The airport has flights from major cities in China, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, and Xi’an. From the airport, visitors can take a taxi or shuttle bus to reach the Ordos Grassland Tourist Area.
Visitors can take a train to either Ordos Railway Station or Dongsheng West Railway Station, both located in Ordos City, approximately 40 kilometers from the grassland. Trains from Beijing, Hohhot, Baotou, Yinchuan, and other cities are available. From the railway station, visitors can take a taxi or bus to reach the Ordos Grassland Tourist Area.
Visitors can take a long-distance bus to either Ordos Bus Station or Dongsheng Bus Station, both located in Ordos City, approximately 40 kilometers from the grassland. Buses from nearby cities, including Hohhot, Baotou, and Yinchuan, are available. From the bus station, visitors can take a taxi or bus to reach the Ordos Grassland Tourist Area.