Located in Xining City, Qinghai Province, Dongguan Mosque is one of the largest mosques in northwest China. It has a rich history dating back to its construction in 1379, making it over 600 years old. The mosque’s architecture is a beautiful blend of traditional Chinese style and local features, with a grand exterior and intricately decorated interior. In addition to its stunning design, Dongguan Mosque is renowned as a religious education center and the highest learning institution of Islam in the region.
Fast Facts about Dongguan Mosque
- Location: Dongguan Street, Xining City
- Area: 11,940 square meters
- Time needed: 1-2 hours
- History: over 600 years and was first built in 1379
- Highlights: magnificent architecture, religious education center, and Islamic sanctum for holy rituals and divine Islamic scripture study
- Suited to: anyone interested in learning about the history of Islam in China and appreciating the beauty of Islamic architecture
Why Visit Dongguan Mosque
- Dongguan Mosque boasts magnificent architecture, with a grand exterior and intricately decorated interior.
- It is renowned as a religious education center, serving as an Islamic sanctum for holy rituals and divine Islamic scripture study.
- As the highest learning institution of Islam in Qinghai Province, the mosque is a hub for Islamic education.
- Additionally, visitors can experience the rich Islamic culture and traditions at Dongguan Mosque, making it a must-visit destination for anyone interested in learning about the Muslim community in the region.
Highlights of Dongguan Mosque
Dongguan Mosque has a rich history dating back over 600 years, with construction beginning in 1380 during the Ming Dynasty under Emperor Hongwu to protect the religious observances of Muslims. As the largest mosque in Qinghai and one of the four greatest in Northwest China, Dongguan Mosque is a beautiful blend of traditional Chinese style and local features, boasting a grand exterior and intricately decorated interior. The mosque’s prayer hall is especially impressive, with a capacity to hold up to 3,000 people.
How to Get to Dongguan Mosque
Visitors can take a bus or taxi to Dongguan Town from Huzhu Town, which is about an hour’s drive from Xining.
Public Bus: You can take public buses like No. 1, No. 17, No. 909, No. 47, and No. 31 to Dongguan Mosque.
Taxi: You can take a taxi to Dongguan Mosque which won’t cost you much.
Attractions nearby Dongguan Mosque
- Qinghai Lake: This beautiful lake is located about an hour’s drive from Dongguan Town and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and landscapes.
- Ta’er Monastery: Located in Xining, Ta’er Monastery is one of the most important Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in China and is renowned for its beautiful architecture and religious significance.