Nestled in the mountains of Guizhou province in southwestern China, Matang Gejia Village is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. This small village is home to the Gejia ethnic minority group, known for its vibrant clothing, intricate embroidery, and unique culture. Visitors can immerse themselves in the local way of life, explore the natural beauty of the surrounding area, and learn about the Gejia people’s fascinating history.
- Location: in Leishan County, Qiandongnan Miao and Dong Autonomous Prefecture, Guizhou Province, China.
- Opening Time: all day
- Ticket Price: no entrance fee
- Time Needed: 3+ hours
- Best Time to Visit: spring and autumn
- Special experience: learn Gejia batik
- Suited to: travelers who enjoy experiencing local cultures, learning about history, and exploring the outdoors.
What to See and Do in Matang Gejia Village
Matang Gejia Village is a fascinating place to explore. Here are some of the top things to see and do:
Admire the Gejia clothing and embroidery
The Gejia people are known for their brightly colored clothing and intricate embroidery. Visitors can see examples of this art form at the village’s embroidery museum and watch local women at work.
Attend a local festival
The Gejia people celebrate several festivals throughout the year, including the Lusheng Festival, the Torch Festival, and the New Year’s Festival. Visitors can experience these colorful celebrations and learn about the local traditions.
Visit the Gejia Cultural Museum
This museum showcases the history and culture of the Gejia people, including their traditional customs, festivals, and religious beliefs.
Hike to the nearby waterfalls
Matang Gejia Village is surrounded by beautiful natural scenery, including several waterfalls. Visitors can take a short hike to see the Huangguoshu Waterfall, the largest waterfall in Asia, or the Dragon Palace Waterfall, known for its underground cave.
Best Time to Visit Matang Gejia Village
The best time to visit Matang Gejia Village is in the spring (March to May) or autumn (September to November) when the weather is mild and the scenery is beautiful. During these seasons, visitors can enjoy comfortable temperatures, clear skies, and colorful foliage. Summer (June to August) can be hot and humid, while winter (December to February) can be cold and snowy.
Attractions Nearby Matang Gejia Village
Matang Gejia Village is located in a scenic area of Guizhou province, with many other attractions nearby. Here are some of the top places to visit:
- Huangguoshu Waterfall: Located about 50 kilometers from Matang Gejia Village, this is the largest waterfall in Asia, with a height of 77.8 meters and a width of 101 meters.
- Dragon Palace Waterfall: Located about 60 kilometers from Matang Gejia Village, this waterfall is known for its underground cave and is a popular destination for hiking and camping.
- Xijiang Miao Village: Located about 80 kilometers from Matang Gejia Village, this is the largest Miao village in China, with over 1,000 households and a rich cultural heritage.
Getting to Matang Gejia Village
Matang Gejia Village is located in Leishan County, Qiandongnan Miao and Dong Autonomous Prefecture. Visitors can take a bus or taxi from Kaili City, which is about 50 kilometers away. The journey takes about 2 hours by bus or 1.5 hours by taxi. It is also possible to hire a private car or join a guided tour.