Upper Langde Miao Village is situated in the southern part of China, in the province of Guizhou. It is renowned for its picturesque setting, nestled amidst rolling hills and lush greenery. The village is home to the Miao ethnic minority, who have preserved their cultural heritage for generations. Stepping into Upper Langde Miao Village feels like entering a world frozen in time, where traditions and customs have stood the test of time.
- Location: 7 km from Leishan County, Kaili
- Opening Time: all day
- Time Needed: half a day
- Best Time to Visit: spring and autumn seasons
- Suited To: culture enthusiasts, nature lovers, photographers
What to See and Do in Upper Langde Miao Village
- Miao Architecture: Marvel at the traditional wooden houses adorned with exquisite carvings, intricate paintings, and delicate craftsmanship.
- Miao Costumes: Immerse yourself in the vibrant world of Miao culture by witnessing the locals dressed in their traditional attire, featuring intricate embroidery and colorful patterns.
- Silver Ornaments: Discover the art of Miao silver jewelry, renowned for its intricate designs and cultural significance. Explore the local markets and witness skilled craftsmen at work.
- Festivals and Performances: Experience the vivacity of Miao festivals, filled with music, dance, and cultural performances. The Lusheng Festival celebrated annually, is a highlight not to be missed.
- Cultural Workshops: Engage in hands-on activities and workshops to learn traditional Miao crafts, such as batik, embroidery, and paper-cutting.
Best Time to Visit Upper Langde Miao Village:
The best time to visit Upper Langde Miao Village depends on your preferences. The region experiences a subtropical monsoon climate with distinct seasons.
- Visit during spring (March to May) to witness lush greenery, blooming wildflowers, and pleasant weather.
- Summer (June to August) is comparatively warmer but ideal for witnessing the colorful festivals celebrated by the Miao Tribe. Be prepared for occasional rain showers during this period.
- The autumn season (September to November) brings with it a riot of colors as the leaves change their hues. It is also a good time to experience the local farming practices and try your hand at rice planting.
- Winter (December to February) can be chilly with occasional snowfall but the clear skies and serene surroundings are definitely worth a visit.
How to Get to Upper Langde Miao Village
Langde Miao Village, situated approximately 7km away from Leishan County, is 29km from the downtown area of Kaili. If you’re looking to visit Langde Miao Village, one way to get there is by taking a bus from Kaili Bus Station, which will bring you to Langde in just 40 minutes. Buses depart every hour, and the cost of the fare is around CNY 9.
Another option to reach Langde Miao Village is to take a bus from Kaili to Leishan County. Once you’ve arrived at Lower Langde Village, which is located along the roadside, you can follow the direction sign that will lead you to Upper Langde Village. The walk from Lower Langde to Upper Langde Village takes about 20 minutes.
Attractions nearby Upper Langde Miao Village
- Kaili Ethnic Minority Museum – This museum showcases the cultural heritage of the Miao and Dong ethnic minorities in Guizhou province.
- Xijiang Miao Village – This is the largest Miao ethnic minority village in China and is located about 40 km from Langde Miao Village.
- Datang Short-skirt Miao Village – This village is famous for its traditional Miao costumes and the unique “short-skirt” worn by Miao women.
- Basha Miao Village – This village is known for its ancient traditions and customs, including the practice of hunting with a crossbow.