Dazhao Temple is a renowned Buddhist temple located in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia. The temple was constructed in 1578, during the sixth year of Emperor Wanli’s reign in the Ming Dynasty, by Tumete Tribal Chief Alehan to celebrate his conversion to Buddhism. As the first Gelugpa Buddhism monastery built in Inner Mongolia, Dazhao Temple is considered a significant landmark and one of the most famous temples in the Mongolian grassland1. Its grand scale and exquisite relics have led to its designation as a protected relic of the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
Dazhao Temple is also referred to as Wuliang Si, which means “Infinite Temple” in Chinese. It is the oldest Gelugpa Temple in Hohhot City and is among the large monasteries built during the early days of Mongolian conversion to the Gelug Sect. The temple has a profound influence in Inner Mongolia and is recognized as one of the most prominent Gelugpa temples in the region. Its rich history, cultural significance, and spiritual value make it a must-visit destination for anyone interested in exploring the region’s Buddhist heritage.
- Location: Dazhao Qianjie, Yuquan District of Hohhot, Inner Mongolia
- Opening time: 8:00 am to 6:00 pm every day
- Ticket price: CNY 40 per person
- Time Needed: 1-2 hours
- Best time to visit: May to October
- Suited to: those who are interested in Buddhism and Chinese culture.
What to See and Do in Dazhao Temple
1. Explore the Temple Complex:
Dazhao Temple is one of the largest and oldest temples in Inner Mongolia, and visitors can spend hours exploring its vast and beautiful complex. Admire the intricate architecture, intricate details, and beautiful artwork that adorn the temple’s walls, roofs, and doors.
2. Visit the Great Buddha Hall:
The Great Buddha Hall is the most impressive building in the Dazhao Temple complex. It houses a large statue of Buddha made of sandalwood and decorated with precious gems. The hall’s interior is adorned with colorful murals and intricate carvings, making it a feast for the eyes.
3. Witness Religious Ceremonies:
Visitors can witness religious ceremonies and rituals that take place in the temple, such as chanting, drumming, and bell-ringing. These ceremonies offer a glimpse into the spiritual beliefs and practices of the region’s Buddhist community.
4. Check out the Museum:
Dazhao Temple has a museum that showcases a collection of rare cultural artifacts, including ancient scriptures, sculptures, and other religious relics. The museum provides a deeper understanding of the temple’s cultural significance and history.
5. Join in Festivals:
Dazhao Temple hosts several festivals throughout the year, including the famous Butter Lamp Festival. Visitors can participate in these festivals and experience the rich cultural traditions of the region.
Best Time to Visit Dazhao Temple
Dazhao Temple is most enjoyable to visit from the months of May to October when the climate is moderate and agreeable. However, for touring Inner Mongolia as a whole, the ideal time frame is from July to September.
Attractions nearby Dazhao Temple
There are several noteworthy attractions located near Dazhao Temple, including:
- Inner Mongolia Museum: Situated roughly 2.5 kilometers away from Dazhao Temple, this museum boasts an impressive collection of Mongolian artifacts and exhibits.
- Zhaojun Tomb: Located about 7 kilometers from Dazhao Temple, this tomb pays tribute to Wang Zhaojun, a renowned historical figure in Chinese history.
- Xilitu Zhao: Positioned approximately 8 kilometers from Dazhao Temple, this temple is recognized as one of the most expansive Tibetan Buddhist temples in Inner Mongolia.
How to Get to Dazhao Temple
If you’re planning a visit to Dazhao Temple from Hohhot city center, you can easily reach there by taking any of the following buses: no. 6, 38, 42, 58, 59, 209, or K3, and disembarking at Dazhao Station.