4 Days Chengdu Panda Volunteer Experience
This 4 days Chengdu tour with a unique itinerary will take you to experience being a panda care volunteer and explore the best of Chengdu. You will experience the slow-pace life in Jinli Street on your own. And then head to Dujiangyan to learn how the Irrigation System works, climb up to Qingcheng Mountain, and enjoy panda volunteering activities.
After that, drive back to Chengdu and immerse yourself in the relaxing & pleasurable time of Chengdu – to stay with the lovely Giant Pandas, appreciate the grandeur of Leshan Giant Buddha by walking and boating, and have a historical exploration of the Sanxingdui Museum. A lot of delightful surprises are ready for you.
1. Explore Chengdu’s vibrant Jinli Pedestrian Street, immersing yourself in the local atmosphere and savoring delicious street food.
Highlights of this tour:
2. Discover the ancient marvel of Dujiangyan Irrigation System and embrace the tranquility of Qingcheng Mountain, a sacred Taoist site.
3. Experience an unforgettable day as a panda volunteer at Dujiangyan Giant Panda Base, getting up close with these adorable creatures.
4. Uncover the mysteries of the Bronze Age at the Sanxingdui Museum, where you’ll encounter fascinating relics and artifacts.
5. Witness the charm of Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding Research Base and marvel at the awe-inspiring Leshan Giant Buddha, a towering stone masterpiece.
- Day 1: Chengdu Arrival
Welcome to the Land of Abundance - Chengdu! Upon arrival at Chengdu Airport, please make your way to the hotel. The rest of the time you can relax in the hotel or explore the city on your own.
Jinli Pedestrian Street is recommended. It is a 550-meter-long food street greatly loved by local people and travelers. Here you can experience real Chengdu local life.
Accommodation: in Chengdu
- Day 2: Chengdu - DujiangyanDujiangyan Irrigation System, Qingcheng Mountain
After breakfast in the hotel, drive to Dujiangyan and start your adventure!
Dujiangyan Irrigation System is your first stop, which is an amazing engineering marvel built more than 2,000 years ago. After so many years, it is still effective today. Take a guided tour of the mountain temple, admire the lovely architecture, walk on the suspension bridge over the running water and learn how the irrigation system works.
Continue your adventure to Qingcheng Mountain, one of the four famous Taoist mountains in China. Along the way, you will visit some Taoist temples to soak in the religious atmosphere and find your inner peace. Try to climb to the top of the mountain and enjoy the spectacular scenery. If climbing up Mount Qingcheng is too much for you to handle, the cable car is available.
Accommodation: in Dujiangyan
- Day 3: Dujiangyan - ChengduPanda Volunteer Program, Sanxingdui Museum
At around 7:30 in the morning, leave the hotel for Dujiangyan Giant Panda Base, the only scientific research institution in China dedicated to the prevention and treatment of panda diseases and the rescue of wild pandas.
Here you will see the fluffy black and white giant pandas sleeping, chewing bamboo, climbing trees, and wrestling with each other.
Be greeted by a professional panda keeper who will give you a brief introduction to pandas, and then your volunteering day begins!
The main volunteering activities include:
- After changing into work clothes, clean the pandas' rooms and activity sites and carry fresh bamboo under the guidance of the panda nursing staff.
- Visit the panda villa to learn about the habits of giant pandas.
- Have lunch at the panda base to enjoy the authentic local dishes.
- Watch a documentary to get further insight into pandas' origin and tempers.
- Witness how the keepers take care of the pandas on a daily basis on the spot.
- Make steamed bread of corn for pandas.
- Get your Panda Volunteer Certificate.
* Friendly Tips:
- Please prepare 1 piece of your ID photo, which should be on a blue background with a size of 3.5cm*4.9cm.
- The volunteering activity needs reserve 1 week ahead of your visit date by using your passport. Please send a copy of your passport to your travel consultant for reservation.
- The panda volunteering fee is around CNY700/p.p, which is included in our tour package.
You can also participate in our Panda Volunteer Day Tour.
After that, you will have a historical exploration of the Sanxingdui Museum, which houses remarkable artifacts discovered at the Sanxingdui archaeological site. Visitors can marvel at exquisite bronzes, jade artifacts, gold masks, and more. The museum presents a unique opportunity to explore the mysterious and enigmatic culture that thrived over 3,000 years ago.
Accommodation: in Chengdu
- Day 4: Chengdu DepartureChengdu Giant Panda Breeding Research Base, Leshan Giant Buddha
Today, start our panda journey to Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding Research Base. It is definitely a highlight for most visitors to Chengdu. There are adorable pandas everywhere. You can watch them eating bamboo, playing with each other, and sleeping. Your guide will navigate you through the huge area, sharing some information about the pandas, and helping you take amazing photos.
Then, you will be transferred to admire the tallest stone Buddha in the world, Leshan Giant Buddha. It took 90 years for three generations of craftsmen to accomplish this 71-meter-high (233 feet) statue.
Follow your guide up the mountain to see the amazing 1,051 buns of curly hair on the head of the Buddha. Optional: You can also take a cruise along the river to view the Buddha in the distance (extra charge).
At the end of the tour, your driver will escort you to the airport for your flight home or other destinations.
You are advised to book a flight home after 8:00 p.m. If you ask us to escort you to Tianfu Airport, there is an extra charge.