Zhangye Travel Guide
Zhangye is a city located in the northwest of Gansu Province, China. It is known for its stunning natural scenery, rich history and culture, and delicious local cuisine. The city is home to the famous Danxia Landform Geological Park, which features the Rainbow Mountains, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that attracts visitors from all over the world.
Zhangye is also home to many historic temples and heritages, including the Giant Buddha Temple and the Mati Temple, which offer a glimpse into the city’s rich history and cultural heritage. Visitors can enjoy local cuisine, shop for unique souvenirs, and explore the peaceful and tranquil atmosphere of the city.
Chinese: 张掖 zhāng yè
Location: Northwest Gansu
Population (urban area): 1,120,000
Why Visit Zhangye?
- To witness the stunning beauty of the Danxia Landform – Zhangye is famous for its colorful and grand Danxia landforms at the Danxia National Geological Park.
- To visit the historic Giant Buddha Temple – The temple is home to the largest reclining Buddha in China.
- To explore the rich history and culture of the city – Zhangye is a historic city on the ancient Silk Road, with rich cultural relics and legends.
Top Things to Do in Zhangye
- Hiking in the Danxia Landform Geological Park: Visitors can explore the stunning Rainbow Mountains and other natural wonders on foot.
- Visiting the Giant Buddha Temple: This historic temple offers a glimpse into the rich history and culture of Zhangye.
- Exploring the Mati Temple: Mati Temple is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in Buddhist culture and architecture.
- Enjoying local cuisine: Zhangye is known for its delicious local cuisine, including hand-pulled noodles, lamb skewers, and other traditional dishes.
Zhangye has a temperate continental climate, with four distinct seasons. The best time to visit Zhangye is from May to October, when the weather is mild and pleasant. In the summer months, temperatures can reach up to 30°C (86°F), while in the winter months, they can drop to as low as -10°C (14°F).
Zhangye is a city located in the northwest of China, in the province of Gansu. Here are some ways to get to and get around the city:
By Plane: Zhangye Ganzhou Airport is the main airport serving the city. It has daily flights to and from major cities in China such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Xi’an.
By Train: Zhangye Railway Station is located in the city center and is connected to major cities in China such as Lanzhou, Xi’an, and Beijing.
By Bus: Zhangye has a well-developed bus system that connects the city with other cities and towns in Gansu province.
By Taxi: Taxis are widely available in Zhangye and are a convenient way to get around the city. However, it’s important to negotiate the fare with the driver before getting in.
By Bicycle: Bicycles can be rented in many places in Zhangye and are a good way to explore the city and its surroundings.
By Foot: Zhangye is a relatively small city, and many of its attractions are within walking distance of each other. Walking is also a great way to experience the local culture and get a feel for the city.
Tips for Traveling in Zhangye
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and dress in layers, as the weather can be unpredictable.
- Bring sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses to protect against the strong sunlight.
- Try the local cuisine and explore the city’s markets and shops.
- Respect the local culture and traditions.
- Be prepared for crowds during peak travel seasons.