Mount Emei is one of China’s Four Sacred Buddhist Mountains, boasting picturesque natural scenery and rich cultural heritage. The Chengdu Panda Volunteer program is a full-day charity activity where participants visit the panda base to contribute to the care and protection of pandas.
Join us on an unforgettable journey around Chengdu and its surroundings areas. Begin by immersing yourself in the vibrant streets of Chengdu and savoring the renowned Sichuan cuisine. Marvel at the grandeur of the Leshan Giant Buddha from a sightseeing boat. Later, ascend to the golden summit of Emei Mountain to witness breathtaking sea of clouds and explore the sacred temples. Get up close with adorable pandas at the Dujiangyan Panda Base. Lastly, delve into the ancient Dujiangyan Irrigation System, and gain insights into Chengdu’s cultural heritage through visits to Dufu Thatched Cottage, Wenshu Temple, and Jinli Old Street.
2. Get a close-up view of the majestic Leshan Giant Buddha or opt for a panoramic view from a sightseeing boat.
3. Take a cable car to the Golden Summit of Mount Emei and witness the awe-inspiring sea of clouds.
4. Be a panda volunteer at the Dujiangyan Giant Panda Base and get up close and personal with these lovely animals.
5. Explore the ancient engineering wonders of Dujiangyan Irrigation System.
6. Immerse yourself in Chengdu’s rich culture with visits to Dufu Thatched Cottage, Wenshu Temple, and Jinli Old Street.
- Day 1: Chengdu Arrival
Welcome to Chengdu. Upon your arrival, your guide will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel. Chengdu, the capital city of Sichuan province, is known for its vibrant culture, delicious cuisine, and adorable giant pandas. The rest of the day is free for you to explore the city on your own.
You can start by wandering through the lively streets, visiting local markets, or exploring some of Chengdu's famous attractions such as Tianfu Square or People's Park. In the evening, we highly recommend trying Sichuan cuisine, renowned for its spicy and flavorful dishes.
Accommodation: in Chengdu
- Day 2: Chengdu - Leshan - Mt. EmeiLeshan Giant Buddha, Baoguo Temple
Today, we will drive for 2 hours to Leshan Giant Buddha, which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Upon arrival, you have the option to take a 30-minute sightseeing boat ride along the river to enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of the Giant Buddha, which stands 71 meters (233 feet) tall. Or you can walk up and see this magnificent Buddha statue up close.
Afterward, you will proceed to Baoguo Temple, a Buddhist temple located at the foot of Mount Emei, serving as the starting point for your exploration of Emei Mountain. Explore the beautiful architecture and tranquil surroundings of the temple. The temple, with its serene environment, ancient towering trees, and elegant architecture, provides visitors with an opportunity to experience the essence of Zen and immerse themselves in traditional culture. At Baoguo Temple, you can enjoy vegetarian meals, and purchase Buddhist relics and crafts. In the evening, drive to the hotel to rest, preparing for the adventures awaiting you on Emei Mountain the next day.
Meals: Breakfast + Lunch
Accommodation: in Mt. Emei
- Day 3: Mt. Emei - ChengduMount Emei Day Trip
After breakfast, meet your tour guide and set out for Mount Emei, a famous Buddhist mountain in China. Upon arrival at the tourist center, transfer to the mountaintop by bus. After reaching Leidongping, you will walk 30 minutes to the cable car station. The cable car will take you to the Golden Summit, the highest peak of Mount Emei (3,077 meters).
At the Golden Summit, you will see a magnificent golden statue and have the opportunity to explore the famous Buddhist temple, Huangzang Temple. If weather conditions are favorable, you will witness a fascinating sea of clouds, a natural phenomenon where clouds cover the top of a mountain. You will have about 1.5-2 hours to immerse yourself in the beauty and tranquility of the Golden Summit.
After the visit, descend by cable car to Leidongping and then take a bus back to the tourist center. From there, you will be transferred back to Chengdu for the night.
Meals: Breakfast + Lunch
Accommodation: in Chengdu
- Day 4: Chengdu - DujiangyanPanda Volunteer Day
After breakfast in the morning, leave the hotel for Dujiangyan Giant Panda Base, the only scientific research institution in China dedicated to the prevention and treatment of panda diseases and the rescue of wild pandas.
Here you will see the fluffy black and white giant pandas sleeping, chewing bamboo, climbing trees, and wrestling with each other.
Be greeted by a professional panda keeper who will give you a brief introduction to pandas, and then your volunteering day begins!
The main volunteering activities include:
- After changing into work clothes, clean the pandas' rooms and activity sites and carry fresh bamboo under the guidance of the panda nursing staff.
- Visit the panda villa to learn about the habits of giant pandas.
- Have lunch at the panda base to enjoy the authentic local dishes.
- Watch a documentary to get further insight into pandas' origin and tempers.
- Witness how the keepers take care of the pandas daily on the spot.
- Make steamed bread of corn for pandas.
- Get your Panda Volunteer Certificate.
* Friendly Tips:
- The volunteering activity needs reserved 1 week ahead of your visit date by using your passport. Please send a copy of your passport to your travel consultant for reservation.
- The panda volunteering fee is around CNY700/p.p, which is included in our tour package.
Meal: Breakfast + Lunch
Accommodation: in Dujiangyan
- Day 5: Dujiangyan - ChengduDujiangyan Irrigation System
After breakfast, you will be transferred to visit the Dujiangyan Irrigation System, an ancient engineering marvel that has supplied water to the Chengdu Plain for more than two thousand years. This UNESCO World Heritage site is an intricate system of canals, levees, and dams designed to control the flow of the Minjiang River. You will explore the system and learn about its historical significance in transforming the agricultural landscape of the region.
After the tour, we will drive back to Chengdu, where you can spend a leisurely evening, perhaps sampling more delicious Sichuan cuisine or exploring the vibrant city streets.
Accommodation: in Macau
- Day 6: Departure from ChengduDufu Thatched Cottage, Wenshu Temple, Jinli Old Street
Today is the last day of your 6-day Leshan Mt. Emei Panda tour, beginning with a visit to Dufu Thatched Cottage, the former residence of the famous Tang Dynasty poet Dufu. This tranquil retreat offers a glimpse into the poet's life and features well-preserved gardens, courtyards, and pavilions. Immerse yourself in the serene surroundings and appreciate the poetic inspiration that emanates from this historical site.
Next, visit Wenshu Temple, a renowned Buddhist temple in Chengdu known for its peaceful ambiance and beautiful architecture. Take a moment to experience the tranquility and observe the rituals and practices of Buddhist believers.
Finally, explore Jinli Old Street, a vibrant and bustling street lined with traditional-style buildings, shops, and local snacks. Stroll through the lively atmosphere and browse for souvenirs or sample some authentic Chengdu street food. After the tour, your driver will escort you to the airport for your flight to your next destination.
Tour Price ($=USD)
From $949 P.P, which is based on a private tour for 2 people. The price varies depending on the activity, number of people, travel date, and selected hotel.