Shuzhuang Garden is a magnificent garden located on the island of Gulangyu in Xiamen, China. The garden is renowned for its stunning natural scenery, intricate architecture, and serene atmosphere. It was originally built in 1931 by a wealthy Taiwanese businessman named Lin Erjia and has since become a popular tourist destination. Visitors to the garden can expect to be dazzled by the beauty of its unique rock formations, tranquil ponds, and lush greenery.
- Location: Gulangyu Island, Xiamen, China
- Opening time: 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Ticket price: CNY 40 per person
- Time Needed: Approximately 2-3 hours
- Best time to visit: Spring (March to May) and Autumn (September to November)
- Suited to: Nature lovers, photographers, and those who appreciate Chinese architecture
What to See and Do in Shuzhuang Garden
Shuzhuang Garden offers a wide array of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. Some of the highlights include:
This is the centerpiece of the garden and comprises of a vast array of unusual rock formations, such as the “Flying Stone” and the “Camel Rock.” Visitors can spend hours exploring the intricate pathways and admiring the natural beauty of the rock formations.
Nine Bend Bridge
This stunning bridge spans across a calm pond and is a popular spot for taking photos. It also offers a great view of the surrounding scenery.
This pavilion is located on a hilltop and offers a panoramic view of the garden and the sea. It is an ideal spot for relaxing and enjoying the peaceful surroundings.
This area of the garden is composed of thick bamboo groves and offers a serene and tranquil atmosphere. It is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city.
This pond is home to a variety of colorful fish and offers a peaceful and serene atmosphere. Visitors can also feed the fish and enjoy the tranquility of the water.
Best Time to Visit Shuzhuang Garden
The best time to visit Shuzhuang Garden is during the spring months, from March to May. During this time, the garden is in full bloom, and visitors can enjoy the beautiful scenery of various flowers, especially the cherry blossoms, and peonies. However, due to the popularity of this season, it may be crowded, and you may have to jostle with many other visitors.
Another great time to visit Shuzhuang Garden is during autumn, from September to November. During this season, the weather is mild, and the garden’s foliage comes alive with vibrant colors, making it a great opportunity for photography.
Attractions Nearby Shuzhuang Garden
There are several other attractions located near Shuzhuang Garden that visitors can explore. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Piano Museum: This museum showcases a collection of antique pianos and is located just a few minutes walk from the garden.
- Sunlight Rock: This is the highest point on Gulangyu Island and offers a stunning panoramic view of the surrounding area. Visitors can take a cable car to the top of the hill to enjoy the view.
- Gulangyu Island Beach: This is a beautiful beach located on the island and offers a great place to relax and enjoy the sea breeze.
Getting to Shuzhuang Garden
To get to Shuzhuang Garden, visitors must first take a ferry to Gulangyu Island from Xiamen. Once on the island, the garden is just a short walk from the ferry terminal. Visitors can also take a bus or taxi to the garden if preferred.