Zhujiajiao Water Town, located in the south central of Qingpu district of Shanghai, is 48 kilometers away from the downtown of Shanghai and about 30 kilometers away from the Hongqiao International Airport. It is located at the transportation hub of Jiangsu province, Zhejiang province and Shanghai. It connected with Kunshan in the north, Jiaxing in the south and Tongping in the west. With the convenient water and land transportation, it has always been one of the important market towns in the area of Jiangsu province, Zhejiang province and Shanghai. Nowadays, Zhujiajiao Water Town, also called as “Jiangnan Pearl”, is one of the most well-known tourists destinations that attracts many tourists home and abroad each year with its long history and rich tourism resources, it is also one of the four famous ancient towns in Shanghai.
Basic Facts about Zhujiajiao Water Town:
- The mostcharming and beautiful natural scenery in Zhujiajiao Water Town is the mountain and lake which show the characteristics of Jiangnan water town. The mountain here is called Dianshan, although it is not high, is enjoy the great reputation for the breath-taking view of sunset here. And the lake is called Dianshan lake covering an area of 62 square kilometers, which is as large as 11 west lake of Hangzhou.
- Zhuajiajiao Water Town is also renowned for its more ancient and unique cultural landscapes with the old street paved with stone slabs, the architectures of blue bricks and tiles of the Ming and Qing dynasties and numerous historical sites, such as one bridge, one street, one temple, one hall, a museum, two gardens, three rivers and twenty-six longs. The bridge called “Fangsheng Bridge” here is the first 5 stone-arched bridge in Shanghai, and the street, the first North Street of the Ming and Qing dynasties in Shanghai, is still best-preserved through the vicissitudes of history, and the North street has a great reputation that a mile-long street has a thousand shops to show the its prosperity in the ancient town. In addition, the well-known two gardens are Kezhi Garden and Zhuxi Garden, and the Kezhi Garden built in 1912 is an ancient and large one, which is a garden in Chinese manor style, while the Zhuxi Garden is a modern and exquisite one and is also equipped with children’s park, restaurant, tea house, shop for tourists.
- Visitors here can taste many delicious special snacks, such as the rose-flavored fermented bean curd, dark-rice zongzi dumpling, roast soybeans, local fresh water crabs and so on, and also can buy some wood carving knit wares or stone carving as souvenirs.
How to Buy Entrance Tickets:
- Price of Entrance Tickets: If you just want to wander around the ancient town, the admission fee is not required, but it is necessary for you to but tickets for each attraction inside in, and here are two combo tickets for tourists to choose.
|Admission Fee for Attractions||CNY 30(including 4 scenic spots: Tongtianhe Medicine Shop, Qing Dynasty Post Office, Y-Art Gallery, and Kezhi Garden)|
|Admission Fee for Attractions||CNY 60(including 8 scenic spots: Tongtianhe Medicine Shop, Qing Dynasty Post Office, Y-Art Gallery, Kezhi Garden, Yuanjin Meditation Room, Handwork Exhibition Hall, Quanhua Art Hall and City God Temple)|
- Opening time: 8:30 – 16:30
When is the best time to visit?
The best time to visit Zhujiajiao Water Town is Spring and Autumn, because weather is pleasant during these months, so visitors can take photos and walk in the breeze and sunshine.
Tips: Visitors had better avoid the official holiday in China, because many Chinese citizens choose to travel on official holidays to ease the pressure of their work. As a result, many Chinese tourist attractions are overcrowded and traffic jams are common. Therefore, visiting China at this time will bring tourists a less pleasant travel experience.
Official Holidays in China
|Chinese New Year||Around January or February|
|Labor Day||May1st -3rd|
|Summer vacation(for students)||July-August31st|
|Mid-Autumn Festival||Around mid-September|
|National Day||October 1st-7th|
How to get to the Zhujiajiao Water Town?
- Visitors can take Huzhu Express Line at Pu’an Road East Yan’an Road Station and get off at the Zhujiajiao Station.
- Visitors can also take Huzhu Special Line at Gaohong Road Shenkun Road Station and get off at the Zhujiajiao Bus Station.
- Take Subway Line 17 and get off at the Zhujiajiao Station.