Tiananmen Square, the center of Beijing, is located in Dongcheng district. Tiananmen square starts from Tiananmen Rostrum in the north, Zhengyang gate in the south, the National Museum of China in the east and the Great Hall of the people in the west, and in the center of the square stands the Monument to the People’s Heroes and the Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao. Every day the national flag raising ceremony is held there.
Basic Facts about Tiananmen Square:
- Tiananmen square is 880 meters long from north to south, 500 meters wide from east to west, and covers an area of 440,000 square meters.
- Several famous scenic spots and splendid Chinese architecture are situated in Tiananmen Square, such as Tiananmen Rostrum,Monument to the People’s Heroes, Great Hall of the People, Memorial Hall of Chairman Maoand National Museum of China.
- Tiananmen, with total height of 34.7 meters, is the main gate of the imperial city of Beijing during the Ming and Qing dynasties.Tiananmen rostrum is 66 meters long and 37 meters wide. On October 1, 1949, the founding ceremony of the People’s Republic of China was held here.
- The Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao built to in memory of the great leader Mao Zedong is located in the south of Tiananmen Square with a total construction area of 28,000 square meters. It is the highest memorial hall in China.
- The Monument to the People’s Heroes is located in the center of Tiananmen square. It was built by the government of the People’s Republic of China to commemorate the people’s heroes who died in various struggles for national independence and the freedom of people. It is the largest monument in China’s history.
- The National Museum of China has a collection of over 1.4 million pieces, covering various categories now, including ancient cultural relics, rare books, works of art and so on.
Why Choose to Visit Tiananmen Square:
- With the capacity of one million people, it is the largest city square in the world.
- On Oct. 1, 1949,leaderMao Zedong proclaimed the founding of People’s Republic of China on Tiananmen Rostrum.
- Tiananmen is also a component of the national emblem of the People’s Republic of China.
How to Buy Entrance Tickets:
- Price of Entrance Tickets:
|Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao||Free|
|Monument to the People’s Heroes||Free|
|National Museum of China||Free|
|Tianamen Rostrum||CNY 15|
|Great Hall of the People||CNY 30|
- Opening time:
Tiananmen Square: 05:00-22:00
Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao:
|Tuesday to Sunday (it is closed on Monday)||08:00-12:00|
|July 1st to August 31st||07:00-11:00|
Notes: The opening time would be changed according to Chinese official holidays, memorial day or some great events held there.
National Museum of China:
|Tuesday to Sunday (it is closed on Monday)||09:00-17:00|
|Last Admission time||16:00|
|November 1st– February 28th||08:30-16:30|
|March 1st-October 31st||08:30-17:30|
Great Hall of the People:
|Dec. – Mar.||09:00-14:00|
|Apr. – Jun.||08:15-15:00|
|Jul. – Aug.||07:30-16:00|
|Sept. – Oct.||08:30-15:00|
Notes: The Great Hall of the People will not be open during the two sessions or major political events.
Flag-raising Ceremony: It is necessary to get up early to attend the flag-raising ceremony. The concrete time of raising the national flag varies with the time of sunrise every day. Visitors could check flag-raising schedule on the official website.
When is the Best Time for the Tiananmen Square Tour?
As the heart of downtown Beijing, Tiananmen square is a popular tourist attraction all year round.
Tips: Visitors had better avoid the official holidays in China, because many Chinese citizens choose to travel on official holidays. As a result, most Chinese tourist attractions are overcrowded and traffic jams are quite common.
Official Holidays in China
|Chinese New Year||Around January or February|
|Labor Day||May1st -3rd|
|Summer vacation(for students)||July-August31st|
|Mid-Autumn Festival||Around mid-September|
|National Day||October 1st-7th|
How to get to the Tiananmen Square?
Take Bus No.1, No.2, No.52, No.5 No.59, No.82, No.90, No.99, No.120 and No.126and sightseeing line 1, line 2, mind to get off at Tiananmen Square East
TakeBus No.2, Take bus No.5, No.8, No.17, No.48, No.59, No. 66, No.67, No.71, No.82, No.93, No.120, No.126, No.723, No.729, Express line 1, No.Te7, No.Te 11, sightseeing line1 and line 2 and get off at Qianmen stop.
Take subway line 1 and get off at Tiananmen East Station (Exit A or D) or Tiananmen West Station (Exit B or C) and walk about 900 meters to get there. Take subway line 2 and get off at Qianmen Station (Exit A or B).